Here’s one shocking fact that not all dog parents realize– 8 out of 10 canines aged at least 3 years old have dental disease. This underlines the need for dog owners to give proper attention to dog dental health. The use of the best dog dental care products can go a long way towards ensuring that a dog won’t be the next sufferer of fractured teeth and periodontal disease– the two most common canine oral disorders.
Periodontal disease is the damage of bones and gum tissues holding canine teeth in place. It is due to bacterial infection the spreads beneath the gum line. When the disease worsens, it can destroy bones around the teeth’ roots and cause tremendous pain to the dog.
Tooth fracture, on the other hand, is a general term for tooth injuries concerning the dental tissues– enamel, dentin, and cementum. These tooth injuries may occur below the gum line or on the top portion of the tooth, also called the crown.
Signs of Oral Disease
Dog owners are often surprised to learn that their pets have oral disease. It’s rare for pet owners to pay attention to dental disease signs and symptoms, particularly periodontal disease.
And when they do, the gum disease is already in its advanced stage. By then, the dog will likely be suffering from chronic pain and instinctively hiding to avoid displaying weakness.
In short, dog parents are usually caught off-guard by canine oral disease.
This is unfortunate given that dental disease in dogs can be prevented if dog owners are aware of the following signs of canine oral disease:
- Stinky breath
Bad breath in canines, also called halitosis, is often due to the accumulation of odor-causing bacteria in the dog’s mouth. A persistent stinky breath would suspect that a dog requires more consistent dental care.
- Swollen gums
Bacteria in the mouth usually cause swollen gums. When dog teeth are not regularly brushed, plaque builds up, causing bacteria to form. Plaque is also hardened by minerals in the saliva, causing the formation of tartar. Accumulation of plaque and tartar can lead to gums receding and becoming swollen later on.
- Discolored teeth
Discoloration of the teeth is another symptom of dental disease in dogs. When a tooth becomes colored yellow, it is often due to the build-up of tartar. Yellow masses found on the foundation of canine teeth may also indicate the accumulation of tartar and plaque.
- Loose or missing teeth
A loose or missing tooth indicates that periodontal disease has reached a mild to severe stage.
How to Prevent Dental Disease in Dogs?
While dental disease is common in adult dogs, the good news is that dog parents can take preventive care to ensure that their canine friends won’t suffer from this common health concern. You could read our article “7 tips for better doggie dental care” for how to prevent dental disease on your dog.
7 Dog Dental Care Products
Optimal dog oral care involves the use of the following dog dental care products designed to support healthy gums and teeth and minimize the risks of dental diseases:
Toothpaste and Toothbrush
Just like in humans, brushing dog teeth is an integral part of promoting good dog dental health. Regularly brushing the dog’s teeth will not only keep his breath fresh but also remove plaque and tartar in the mouth.
Many dog parents mistakenly think that they can do away with using human toothpaste in their pets. However, human toothpaste has certain ingredients that are toxic to canines.
Dog toothpaste, on the other hand, is not only safe for use in canines. This type of pet product is also tasty enough for most dogs. Thus it is easier for dog parents to use it on their pets.
How to choose good toothpaste?
In choosing a dog toothpaste, check the ingredients list. It should be made of safe and food-grade ingredients. The toothpaste should also have a flavor that’s appealing or tasty to dogs.
Canine toothbrushes are equally critical. In shopping for a canine toothbrush, dog owners should choose one that’s of the right size for their dog’s mouth. For big dogs such as Great Dane and St. Bernard, a toothbrush with small finger brushes is highly recommended. Standard toothbrushes, on the other hand, should work well for smaller dogs.
The handle must also be of the right size for the pet owner. The ideal canine toothbrush should be easy to move around, especially if the dog likes to move a lot during brushing.
- A beef flavor that’s appealing to most dogs
- High-quality toothpaste that helps remove plaque and freshen breath
- Made of quality, healthy ingredients
- Made with natural ingredients– vanilla and tea tree oil.
- Safe for dogs to swallow, so there’s no need for rinsing
- It helps in promoting healthy gums while preventing the build-up of tartar.
- Suitable for dogs of all ages
- With vanilla to improve taste and make it tolerable for most dogs
- Specially formulated to control plaque and prevent the build-up of tartar.
- Helps in cleaning teeth and keeping breath fresh
- Poultry flavor that’s delicious for dogs of all ages
- Safe for dogs to ingest
- Toothpaste is clinically proven to reduce tartar.
- Infused with baking soda to whiten and brighten dog teeth
- The toothbrush is designed for large dog breeds.
- Doggie toothbrush fits on the finger giving dog owners more control of it.
- The bristle is hard enough to brush off grime and tartar.
- The bristle is designed to reduce the risks of harming dogs, especially gums.
- Dual heads for reaching awkward areas of a canine’s mouth
- A long handle for more comfortable use of humans
- Soft brushes won’t hurt dogs but still strong enough to get rid of plaque.
- With soft bristles designed to minimize harm, especially on sensitive dog’s gums.
- A dual-ended brush can effectively clean large and small surfaces.
- The long handle makes it easier for humans to control it.
Rinse and Water Additives
Rinse and water additives are simple dental solutions for reducing plaque or tartar in the mouth while keeping the dog’s breath fresh.
Water additives can eliminate bacteria that build up in the dog’s teeth or gums. By doing so, these dental solutions can prevent plaque and tartar from accumulating in the dog’s gums. And water additives can help promote fresher breath and pearly white teeth.
Rinse, and water additives are simple to use– add a tablespoon to the water bowl, and that’s it. Dogs will then have fresher breath and whiter, cleaner teeth with regular use or intake of water additives.
It can be said that water additives are way more convenient to use than toothbrush/toothpaste, especially for picky dogs. Most dog experts say that water additives should be used as complementary to brushing canine teeth.
How do you choose a good water additive for dogs?
Like shopping for a canine toothpaste, dog parents should look at the ingredient list of a rinse and water additive. The ideal water additive should be free from toxic ingredients such as alcohol, xylitol, nitrates, and salt. It should be made of all-natural ingredients.
Other factors to consider in shopping for a dog water additive are the price, packaging, and manufacturer’s reputation.
- Made of natural and food-grade ingredients such as green tea leaf extract and chlorophyllin.
- Can keep dogs’ breath fresh for 12 hours.
- Helps prevent plaque and tartar buildup.
- Free from alcohol and xylitol.
- Safe to be added to the dog’s water every day.
- Won’t interfere with other dog medications.
- Comes from a highly-respected firm.
- Tasteless and odorless, so dogs won’t suspect it has been mixed in their water.
- Easy to use.
- Tasteless and odorless; easy to mix with dog water/food.
- Blended and packaged in the US.
- Free from alcohol and sugar.
- Eliminates bad breath.
- Reduces tartar and plaque build-up.
- Contains safe ingredients like water, aloe vera, and baking soda.
- Easy to use solution.
- Denta-C is clinically proven to reduce tartar and plaque.
- Comes from a company with more than 60 years of experience in manufacturing dental products.
- Comes from a reputable manufacturer.
- Tasteless and odorless that dogs won’t know it is in their water.
- With baking powder for deodorizing canine mouth.
Chews and Treats
Chewing is an essential behavior for dog dental health. It helps keep the dog’s teeth healthy and strong. This natural doggie behavior is also vital to stress management through the release of endorphins.
And one of the best ways to encourage chewing in dogs is to give them chews. These products can withstand the most aggressive chewers. Moreover, chews can keep dogs busy and engaged.
How to choose good chews and treats?
There are plenty of dog chews available in the market. But in choosing one, dog owners should consider factors like size. The rule of thumb is to avoid a chew that can fit inside the dog’s mouth as this is considered too small and could be ingested by the canine.
Another critical factor to consider is the hardness of the chew. It should not be too hard as it could break off a tooth. But it should not be too soft as the dog may chew off bits of the treat and swallow them in the process.
Dog chews should also pack plenty of protein and free from unnecessary additives such as sugar, sodium, and artificial flavors. And these dog accessories should have a taste that’s appealing to dogs.
As for dog treats, pet owners should look for those made of all-natural ingredients like fresh veggies and protein-rich sources such as chicken. They should also prioritize treats that have a long shelf-life and those with a design exciting or appealing to dogs.
- Made of all-natural ingredients like peanut butter, apples, and carrots.
- Large enough for most dogs not to ingest it.
- With a bone-shaped design that’s appealing to most canines.
- Grain-free dog treats sans additives, preservatives, and artificial colors/flavors.
- Soft-baked for easy snacking of dogs.
- Chicken and carrot flavor that is appealing to most canines.
- It comes in different flavors dogs love, such as chicken liver, apple & yogurt, etc.
- Crunchy baked biscuits that are healthy and tasty for dogs.
- Helps improve canine immunity.
- Made from real chicken, which is delicious for all dogs.
- Small in size and thus ideal as a training treat.
- Sans corn, wheat, or soy which are harmful to dogs.
- No artificial ingredients can be toxic to dogs.
- Naturally improves canine dental health.
- Designed for aggressive chewers.
- Designed for medium-sized dogs.
- Comes in different flavors such as bacon, chicken, and roast beef.
- Free from additives and artificial colors.
- · Made from durable and strong nylon.
- · Wishbone design is appealing to most dogs.
- · Flavor and scent are canine-approved.
Nasty dog breath associated with dental diseases can be addressed by the use of a canine breath freshener. While many dog experts still recommend daily brushing as the most effective way of curbing bad breath, the use of a breath freshener can even come in handy.
Dog breath fresheners come in different forms. Arguably the most popular is the spray type which works just like breath fresheners for humans. Dog owners only have to spray it on their pet’s mouth to get rid of nasty breath. There are also dog breath fresheners available as water additive and brush, which dogs are to lick.
In choosing a dog breath freshener, pet owners should consider the ingredients of the product, ease of use or application, packaging, and the manufacturer’s reputation.
- Brush coated with all-natural enzymes that clean the tongue, the main source of bad breath in dogs.
- Easy to use as dogs love its beef and bacon flavor.
- The liquid inside is refillable.
- One spray is enough to keep the dog’s breath fresh.
- Promotes good gum health and guards against tartar build-up.
- Made of ingredients with antiseptic qualities.
- Capable of reducing plaque and tartar, which cause bad breath.
- Easy to use.
- It has peppermint oil that helps freshen the breath of dogs.
- Aloe vera cleans teeth and prevents a build-up of tartar.
- Can instantly freshen canine breath.
- Comes in two flavors— mint and flavorless.
- Made with all-natural ingredients.
- Comes from a reputable manufacturer.
- Cleans teeth, reduce plaque, and promotes fresher breath in dogs.
- Can encourage chewing in dogs.
- Made with all-natural ingredients.
- Removes tartar and plaque
- Promotes fresher breath in dogs
- Easy to use
We recommend the 7 best dental products to maintain and improve your dogs’ gum and teeth’ healthiness. If you have any recommendation products that we do not mention above, we encourage you to share them in the below comment section.