Chewing is normal for dogs. Puppies and adult dogs chew on objects to explore their surroundings. It can also prevent them from getting bored, frustrated, or anxious. Chewing can also promote health benefits like keeping the teeth clean and the jaws strong without causing upset stomach or other digestive problems. In this article, we will look at the best dog dental chews for sensitive stomach.
Dental chews for dogs have become a common type of canine treat these days and for a good reason. Dental chews for our canine friends have numerous benefits. It can help remove plaque and tartar. Studies have shown that the best dental chews for dogs can make plaque reduction up to 70% more effective. The simple mechanical action of chewing helps in loosening plaque and removing tartar in canine teeth.
And it’s not only the chewing action that does the trick; the presence of a coating known as polyphosphate can further make dental chews for dogs more effective in eliminating tartar and plaque. However, this is not to say that dental chew treats are enough to replace brushing. Not even the top rated dental chew for canines can replace regular teeth cleaning.
Dental chews like dental sticks for dogs can also make canine breathe smell fresher. The best dental chews for dogs can reduce bad breath in canines. Dog dental chews contain ingredients such as chlorophyll which can freshen breath. The same goes for ingredients like cinnamon and clove.
Potential Risks of Dog Dental Chews Treats
However, there are also risks posed by dog dental chews. Be wary of dental chew treats containing ingredients that may be harmful to your pet. Artificial colors, for one, can cause health concerns in dogs such as hyperactivity and insomnia. While artificial colors can make dental chews visually appealing for dogs, you should avoid giving treats that have artificial coloring.
Gluten is another ingredient that should not be used in dental chews. Found in grains, gluten is not a natural food ingredient or canines and even felines to consume. Dogs and cats can develop allergies or suffer from digestive problems due to the consumption of foods rich in gluten. Other symptoms of gluten sensitivity or allergy are ear infections, hot spots, and itching.
Dental chews made of rawhide can also be very dangerous. Made from cow or horse skin, rawhide is often made with beef, liver, or chicken flavorings. It can contain toxic chemicals and could cause E.coli contamination. It can also cause dogs to suffer from digestive irritation. Moreover, rawhide bones can cause choking. Large pieces of rawhide can get stuck in parts of the gastrointestinal tract or even in the esophagus.
Rawhide is actually a type of bone used in many dental chews for canines. Other bones are used as ingredients in dog food and treat such as bone marrow. While bone marrow can help keep canine teeth clean and free from plaque, it is also hazardous because of the potential to get stuck over the jaw. Cooked bone, on the other hand, tends to be brittle and break easily. Moreover, the cooking process in which the bones were subjected can remove the nutrients that should be benefiting the dog.
Rawhide, bone marrow, and cooked bones all present risks of physical and digestive blockages in canines. Bones are considered the most common of causes of gastrointestinal obstruction, or ingestion of objects which can’t be broken down through digestion. Symptoms of digestive obstruction include vomiting, lack of appetite, diarrhea, inability to defecate, tarry tools, lethargy, abdominal pain, and excessive drooling.
How to Choose Dog Dental Chews for Sensitive Stomach
With so many dog dental chew products on the market, it can get really confusing to choose the best chews for dogs teeth. Continue reading this article as we’ll give you more tips and recommendation on how to choose the best chews for dog teeths but it’s safe for his/her digestion system:
- Size– this could be the most essential consideration in selecting a chew treat for dogs. The size of the dental treats should be appropriate with the chewing preference and size of the dog. If you have a puppy, then you should not be giving him a dental treat sized for adults because you run the risk of him getting involved in the physical or digestive blockage, or his teeth being broken. Thus, buy a dental chew treat that’s appropriately sized for your pet. Most dog dental chew treats are sized according to the weight of dogs.
- Hardness– dental chews for dogs should not be too hard as these could break their teeth, but not too soft because the canine would simply chew or tear it apart. So how would you know that a dental chew treat has the right hardness for your pal? Here’s one tip to determine if a dental chew is too hard for your pet– press the product with your thumbnail. If it doesn’t give in by a little bit, then it is potentially too hard for dogs and could break your buddy’s teeth.
- Ingredients/materials used– one could argue that this is the most crucial factor to consider outside the size of the dental chew. The ideal dog dental chew is made of natural ingredients. It should be free from coloring, preservatives, and additives that may cause illnesses or other health problems to your pet. How would you know if a dental chew is safe for dogs? Read the label or ingredient list!
- Brand quality/reputation– as they say, you get what you pay for. It’s always a safe bet to buy a dog dental chew from a reputable brand as you can be assured of the quality of the product. Moreover, dog dental chews from good brands are usually tested and proven effective in reducing plaque and tartar buildup. Look for the sign of approval from the Veterinary Oral Health Council, which vouches for the effectiveness of the dog chew in promoting good dental health.
- Shape/color/taste– the shape, color, and taste can all affect the appeal of the chew treat to a dog. It’s great to pick a dental chew that looks intriguing to dogs, but it should also be tasty enough for the canine to bite and play with it regularly. However, giving your pet a tasty treat can also backfire as your pal may end up ingesting the dental chew right away because of its good taste.
7 Best Dog Dental Chews for Your Dog with Sensitive Stomach
Still at a lost on which dog dental chews for sensitive stomach that you’d give to your pet? Don’t worry as we have made things easier for you by recommending the seven best dog treats for sensitive stomach in the market today, which It helps to maintain your dogs’ teeth clean and reduce bad breath.
1. N-Bone Get Naked Digestive Health Dental Chew Sticks
This dental chew sticks from N-Bone are designed to promote a healthy digestive system, freshen breath and remove plaque in dogs. It has prebiotics that helps the gut remain in excellent condition, which in turn promotes the growth of the good bacteria in the canine’s body. This can help maintain a well-functioning digestive system by safeguarding the gut against harmful bacteria.
It is safe for dogs to consume as it is gluten-free. It is also free of wheat, corn, and soy. Its main ingredients include chicken and cinnamon, which makes it potent in freshening the breath. The slightly minty smell from cinnamon may make this chew stick a bit odd for picky dogs, though.
- Help remove plaque and tartar
- Freshens breath
- Promotes good bacteria in the gut
- Long-lasting compared to other dog treats
- Low in calories
- Packed in a small bag
- Smells quite odd for picky dogs
2. Whimzees Paragon Toothbrush Star Dental Treat for Dogs
This dental treat for dogs comes in three sizes. Extra-small is for puppies or small dogs weighing less than 12 pounds; the medium-sized is for dogs weighing between 22 and 40 pounds. The biggest, meanwhile, is made for dogs who are 40 to 80 pounds in weight. This dental treat is potato-based and free from gluten and wheat.
These treats are firm enough to remove plaque from canine teeth; plus there are no sharp edges that may hurt dogs. Shaped like toothbrushes, these dental chews are also intriguing and tasty for most canines. It is also healthy for dogs as it is low in calories and high in fiber.
- Toothbrush-shaped that’s enticing for most dogs
- Made from potato which is low in calories and high in fiber
- Firm enough to remove plaque
- Comes in different sizes
- Free from gluten and wheat
- Might be a bit soft for aggressive chewers
3. Purina DentaLife Daily Oral Care Dog Treats
Similar to the product preceding it, this dog treat comes in three different sizes. It also has a chicken flavor that makes it very tempting to our canine friends. Moreover, the treats has a chewy texture that should engage the interest of dogs. The presence of ridges on the treats is intended to remove plaque and tartar while promoting fresh breath in canines.
Purina is a known brand so you can be assured of the quality of this dog treat. It is also scientifically proven to be up to 57% effective in reducing tartar and consequently improving dog’s breath.
- Comes in different sizes
- Chicken flavor is appetizing for dogs
- Chewy texture that makes it intriguing for canines
- Comes from a reputable brand
- A bit small for large dogs
- Some dogs tend to eat them quickly
4. Greenies Original Dental Dog Treats
One of the best selling dental dogs treats today, this product from Greenies comes in four sizes. The teenie size is for dogs weighing 5 to 15 pounds; the petite size is for dogs weighing from 15 to 25 pounds. There are also sizes for dogs weighing 25 to 50 pounds and large breed dogs or those weighing more than 50 pounds.
This natural dog treat has a poultry flavor that makes it irresistible to dogs. It also has a unique texture that can help in cleaning down the gumline, fighting plaque and tartar, and freshening the breath of dogs. The toothbrush-shape of the treat is another bonus, too, as it can help entice even the pickiest dogs.
- Comes in four different sizes
- With natural poultry flavor
- The unique texture that promotes tartar and plaque removal
- Toothbrush shape that is enticing to most dogs
- Too tasty that dogs may end up eating them right away
- A bit expensive
5. Best Bully Sticks
Made from all-natural, grass-fed beef, these dog dental chew treats are sure to be appetizing even for the pickiest dog. The bully sticks are not only delicious but also durable and long-lasting. Hence, expect these sticks to be effective in removing tartar and plaque.
This dog treat for sensitive stomachs is not only good at removing plaque and tartar but also in supporting a healthy diet. It is packed with protein and other important vitamins. It is also free from additives, coloring, and other chemicals.
- Appetizing for most dogs because it is made from beef
- Bully sticks are durable and long-lasting
- Effective in plaque and tartar removal
- With protein and vitamins
- Digestible and safe for puppies
- Too tasty that dogs can finish them in minutes
6. Pedigree Dentastix
Here’s another excellent product from such a well-known brand. Pedigree’s Dentastix has a minty fresh flavor designed to boost dog’s oral care. It is made for large dogs with a delicious taste and texture that appeals to most canines. It also comes in four flavors including beef and bacon that are tasty for dogs.
The X-shape design of the treats not only make the dental chews appealing to dogs; it can also boost the removal of tartar and plaque especially along the gumline.
- X-shape design for effective tartar and plaque removal
- Comes in four different flavors
- Manufactured by a reputable brand
- Minty fresh flavor that freshens dog’s breath
- Not for small dogs
- A bit soft for aggressive chewers
7. Dingo Tartar And Breath Chicken Dental Sticks
Made with real chicken, the Dingo Tartar and Breath dental sticks are sure to satisfy any dog. It also has other ingredients safe for dogs like baking soda and parsley seed. Those ingredients are proven effective in scrubbing dog teeth, massaging the gums, and freshening the breath.
The dental sticks are also available in fun shapes that can intrigue dogs. Plus, the product comes in a resealable bag.
- Chicken flavor is appetizing for dogs
- Effective in removing plaque from dog teeth
- Freshens dog breath
- Fun shapes that are appealing to dogs
- Comes in a resealable bag
- Can be a bit soft for bigger dogs
There’re our seven dental chews for your puppies and dogs. If you have any other suggestion, please don’t hesitate to share with all of us by sharing your experience and product in comment section below. Thanks for reading.